Considerations for preparing for your Highland Roots Ancestral Tour. The better prepared, the more enjoyable you’ll find the experience.
Passports, visas, customs
- A valid passport, best if current within 6 months prior to and after the tour dates
- Must meet UK immigration requirements
- USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand visitors can stay up to 6 months with a return ticket and funds to cover the trip
- Know the rules regarding what you can bring into Scotland and whether tax applies.
- See a government website addressing entry to the UK with an overview of these issues and more.
- Expect rain, bring rain gear
- Temperatures will be chilly (even in summer), bring warm clothing and dress in layers
- Expect long walks, bring comfortable walking shoes
- Have a letter from your physician confirming need for medications
- Carry medications in correctly labeled containers
Travel insurance recommended
– Available through your travel agency
- Healthcare (including dental)
- Trip interruption
- Lost baggage
- ATMs offer the best exchange rates – you can exchange at the airport.
- Use bank ATMs.
- Avoid exchanging money at commercial bureaus and hotels (they often have the highest exchange rates).
- Credit cards with computer chips can be used. Be prepared to have to sign the receipt.
- Tours originate at the Glasgow Airport Holiday Inn lobby at 11:00 a.m. on the first day of the tour. It is located across the street from the airport terminal immediately west of the parking lot.